Sree Rama Dasa Ashram, named after our patron deity Lord Sree Anjaneya, is located on top of the hill named Ramagiri, on the banks of the beautiful Barvi River. It is the site of penance of a great Avatar Purush, His Holiness Jagadguru Swami Sathyananda Saraswathiji Maharaj, and His seniormost disciple, His Holiness Swami Krishnananda Saraswathiji Maharaj. Nearly 60 acres of untarnished land, rich in vegetation, has a combined spiritual and natural appeal.
The Ashram has its own temple complex, guest house facilities, water system, pitr pooja ghat, community hall, etc. Swamiji has a vision of preservation and propagation of the Hindu culture as well as optimum utilization of natural resources for the development of surrounding villages. Social projects for water, food and education have uplifted the villagers and adivasis (tribals). Future goals include world class projects to aid in the spiritual development of humanity.
How Ramagiri was found:
In a clairvoyant vision, His Holiness Jagadguru Swami Sathyananda Saraswathy, while seated in Kerala, saw this pure and pious Tapobhoomi and described it to His seniormost disciple, His Holiness Swami Krishnananda Saraswati. Poojya Swami Krishnanandaji immediately started for Mumbai with a mere twenty three Rupees in his hand. After a dedicated and divinely guided search he finally found this Chosen Land. Seated at the banks of the Barvi river, having nothing but water to offer, Poojya Swamiji chanted the Lalitha Sahasranama with offerings of water and asked the Divine Mother for this land to be used in the service of humanity.
In the year 1981, With a bold advance of just one Rupee, Swamiji booked this land from its owner with an assurance that the rest of the money would be paid within a year. Through collections from various public activities and teaching Yoga, Swamiji managed to fulfill the vision of his Guruji through the wholehearted support of devotees. He dedicated this land at the lotus feet of His Holiness Jagadguru Swami Sathyananda Saraswathiji Maharaj.
Facilities for the Devout:
- Annadaan hall: An oblong dining hall with Kadappa tables and seating facilities.
- Multiple Holy Temples for prayer and contemplation.
- A residential quarter: For residence of Swami Krishnananda Saraswathi and Ashram inmates. This also houses the room of our Poojya Gurudev, His Holiness Jagadguru Swami Sathyananda Saraswathiji Maharaj, which has now been converted into a shrine.
- A free medical dispensary : We provide free treatment and medicines to all patients coming from the surrounding villages and adivasi colonies.
- A 27,500 sq. ft. Sathyananda Saraswathi Mandap: A mammoth construction, this one of a kind open hall can seat upto five thousand people. It is the venue for conducting dowry-free mass marriages in traditional Hindu style as well as for various cultural and religious functions.
- Guest rooms: Twenty rooms with attached toilet for devotees who wish to spend extended periods of time in the divine and serene atmosphere of the Ashram.
- A Pitr Pooja hall and ghat: We have the best Pitr Pooja facility in Mumbai complete with the pristine flowing Barvi river and a beautiful Shiva Mandir. There is a Pooja hall, a bathing ghat, drinking water and changing rooms for gents and ladies.
- A Goshala: For the protection of cows the Ashram provides shelter and food to cows and bulls.
- A Vruddha Ashram (Old age home): A comfortable old age home for people to spend the final years of life in prayer & service.